Friday, April 18, 2008

Our Birth Story - Mom's perspective (Part II)

TMI ALERT...
So, by the time we got into the car for our 30 min drive, I was contracting every 2.5 to 4 minutes. We valeted, walked up to the Labor and Delivery floor and then proceeded to wait for 45 minutes to get admitted into the room. I walked the halls and Shu helped me time the contractions - still 2.5 minutes apart. We finally were able to set up camp in our room. I had sit and to get on the monitor for 20 minutes, which actually ended up slowing down my contractions and making them much more painful. Our midwife, Debby, showed up and checked me. At that point, I was almost 6 cm dilated- wohoo! The next four hrs were spent alternating time walking, rocking in a rocker, toilet time, and sitting on the birth ball. Then, Debby checked me again and she said I was a good 8 cm, with a little cervix caught on one side. So she had me push while she readjusted things, which then caused my water to break, After that everything changed.

Up to that point, I could just breathe and relax through the contractions...not any more. They say transition (going from 7-10 cm) is the worst part of labor - I agree wholeheartedly. The next two hours are a blur - I couldn't get comfortable and I did some nice bed aerobics - Shu's perspective is, I am sure much more vivid. Although, I remember Shu fanning me and getting my hair pulled back. After a while, I was convinced all of my gymnastics were fruitless, so I asked her to check me (4:15 PM). I got on my back and it turned out I was at 9.5 cm. I started really pushing then. The little guy decided to push off my ribs an so I remember pushing him back with my hands between contractions...I am afraid that may be why he's got a little bruising on his butt. Anyway pushing was fun and the burn felt great - ha!! It was a good bit of work. I had some great cheerleaders and it helped to have Shu telling me that he could actually see the progress. Yes - I actually felt his head when he was inside me - crazy stuff...I pushed for an hour and Shu actually got to pull him out of me by the waist!! (Debby had his head)

After that, we got to spend an hour and a half with him. But, I'll leave those deatils for the next post -- little man is hungry :)

No comments: