We'd originally been scheduled to go to Costa Rica, but we decided to stay home and take it easy. Although, you've got to wonder if taking it easy really includes buying paint for the nursery and doing Christmas shopping : )
We got a book called "Raising Baby Green" that's been interesting. It's not that I've become a tree hugger, but babies are tied to a ridiculous amount of waste - I mean this lady we ran into the other day told us she had five strollers for her three kids!! And, after doing some research, I can actually see how she could get to that point!
So, we are going to try to minimize what we're getting and try to minimize Baby Rau's initial impact on the environment, but...it's tough!!! Like I mentioned before, our first step was in buying zero VOC paint for his nursery. We also got a new dishwasher. Believe it or not, we used to hand-wash everything, but I've since learned that we were probably wasting a lot of water in the process, so we're using the dishwasher and easing into that sacrifice fairly easily. It also came with a sanitize function which we figure should come in handy for handling the baby bottles. Lastly, I am trying to buy more organic stuff- especially milk and apples. This is mainly because they've become a daily part of my diet and I figure if my intake is high enough, all of those extra hormones and pesticides have got to affect the little guy somehow. If anything it can't hurt...other than our pocketbook and that's why we work, anyway ; ) We've also investigated the cloth vs. disposable diaper debate with interesting results, worthy of a separate entry. I'll keep you posted as we come up with more crazy ideas.
If you've got comments or recommendations for other ideas, please feel free to comment away!!
No comments:
Post a Comment